Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:49:50 +1100
From:      Joe Shevland <J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Haze <dionn@spiritone.com>
Cc:        Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Service unavailable to   grog@lemis.com or grog@freebie.lemis.com

Haze wrote:

> On 13-Oct-98 @ 4:18:25, Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org> wrote:
> > ed mill writes:
> >  > WE PREFER ALL CAPS IT LOOKS BETTER AND AS MORE PEOPLE THE USE THIS METHOD
> >  > OF COMMUNICATION, THE USELESS IDEAS AND CONVENTIONS OF THE PAST WILL FALL
> >  > BE THE WAY SIDE.   LIKE THE USE OF ALL CAPS IN THE CASE AND THE
> >  > TELEGRAPH, SMOKE SIGNALS, AND THE DRUM LEAD OTHER CASES.WE PREFER ALL
> >  > CAPS IT LOOKS BETTER AND AS MORE PEOPLE THE USE THIS METHOD OF
> >  > COMMUNICATION, THE USELESS IDEAS AND CONVENTIONS OF THE PAST WILL FALL BE
> >  > THE WAY SIDE.   LIKE THE USE OF ALL CAPS IN THE CASE AND THE TELEGRAPH,
> >  > SMOKE SIGNALS, AND THE DRUM LEAD OTHER CASES.
> >
> > I thought the "ALL CAPS" look departed with the demise of the Teletype
> > model 33 and all those old line printers.  It must be another one of
> > those "return to the 70's" styles.  I didn't much like bell-bottoms,
> > and I don't like "ALL CAPS", either.
>
> The US govt. still uses all caps in most of the US Code documents.
> [snipped off]

Useless ideas and conventions of the past? I thought punctuation and
grammar actually added to the written language; in fact I'm sure it
does, because the ALL CAPS above is impossible to understand. Even the
original posting didn't make any sense. THE CAPS ABOVE LOOKS LIKE A
40-COL APPLE IIE; ANYONE THAT ADVOCATES ALL CAPS OVER GRAMMATICALLY
CORRECT ENGLISH SHOULD BE BACK WHERE THEY OBVIOUSLY WANT TO BE: THE DAYS
OF THE SMOKE SIGNAL. Who votes that this thread is stopped, with the
general concensus being that we should type following {educated|human}
conventions?
--
Joe