Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:38:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        mtg@dmi.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First time in Un*x

Oh yes, how to climb Mount Everest!?!?

Well, it's easier when it's broken down into smaller pieces.
(Not easy just easier). However, the rewards are well worth it.
The way I see it is that un*x breaks neatly into several major
categories.
Like:

1. Getting around, i.e. using the Shells
2. System Administration.
3. Networking
4. Programming.
5. Using some specific program(s)
6. Misceleneous

What I would do if I were in your position is identify which areas you
currently are pursuing and target those. One way is to get a decent
book another is to ask a question right here.

Some specific book recomendations:
1. Unix for DOS users :-)
2. Unix Unleashed
3. HTML/Internet programming book that covers Apache or there are at
least two books I've seen specifically for Apache.

These titles are not exact but somewhat close. DO NOT buy the "Red
Book" on System Administration yet. You'll find it useless for a year
or two.

Rudy

---"Michael T. Gray, met" <mtg@dmi.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I spent a lot of time getting opinions about UN*x and decided on
> FreeBSD with an Apache WWW server. I have worked on computers for 20
> years, mostly DOS, lots of networks, several program languages
including
> C/C++. I am setting up a Web Server.
> 	I downloaded Apache from FreeBSD and am ready to set it up. Only
> problem is, I have no idea how. Most of the instructions say something
> like: "configure it however you wish", or "setup the way you like".
Are