Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:33:04 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Keyboard troubles

>I don't make a habit of keyboard swapping, and I HAVE experienced some
>minor glitches before (such as weird scan codes being sent, or the state
>of caps lock changing).

You have been lucky that you didn't broke the motherboard when swapping
the keyboard.

The fact that you only had minor problems does not mean the rest
of the world should be Ok too.

>In any case, though, a keyboard reset or even
>just a few key presses would fix.  In the last 10 years, I have NEVER had
>to reboot a system because they keyboard wasn't responding.

Well, as I wrote before, I suspect that the keyboard interface of
your motherboard is becoming flaky.  This is a hardware problem,
rather than software.  It is not certainly the FreeBSD boot loader problem
as it relies on the BIOS to detect the presense of the keyboard.

>> Even if the keyboard interface survives hot-plugging, there is no
>> assurance that the keyboard and the keyboard controller on the
>> motherboard can communicate properly after hot-plugging; they are
>> simply not designed to cope with such situation.
>>
>> I personally know a couple of people who broke their motherboard this
>> way.
>
>Bummer for them..  Really, though, I would rather fry a $200 motherboard
>than my $500CDN keyboard (my fingers have developed expensive tastes).
>:-)  None of my motherboard documentation warns agains swapping keyboards,
>either.

That doens't mean the motherboard manufacturer recommend keyboard
swapping :-)

I certainly don't like the idea that we encourage users something
which may break their motherboard.

I will tell more.  Many motherboard, if not all, has a small fuse
around the keyboard connector.  This fuse will burn if large current
runs in the keyboard interface.  This may happen when you
hot-plug/unplug the keyboard.

The trouble is that this fuse cannot be easily replaced on many
motherboard.  Some old motherboards have a socketed fuse, so it's not
hard to replace it (but it is still a hassle for non-engineering type
folks).  Many recent motherboard has the fuse SOLDERED on the
motherboard, and the fuse itself is a small chip.  This makes it hard
for us to identify the fuse and repair it when it goes off.  It is
certainly unreasonable to assume any user can fix it himself.

>In any case, I never had problems swapping keyboards between prior FreeBSD
>releases, other UNIX platforms, Windows machines, DOS machines.  Hell,
>even my old Nintendo never complained if you plugged in a different
>controller while it was powered on.  :-)  I was just wondering if
>something had been done to 4.0 that didn't handle this situation like
>previous releases.

Nothing changed in the 4.0 boot loader.

# Other UNIX boxes and the Nintendo game console are not relevant here.
# They use different keyboard interface circuit.

Kazu