Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 21:35:18 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv

Chuck Robey:
 |Well, the first thing that comes to mind is a line from Fxtv, the
 |app-defaults file:
 |
 |!Fxtv.remoteType:       X10
 |                                        ! Remote control type (if present)
 |
 |There's one or two others.  Do you think they all might trace from the
 |work you refer to below?

Yes, that's the X-10 Mouse Remote.  It stinks as a mouse-pass-through (it
emits spurious mouse move/button events -- maybe an EM filtering problem),
but if you stick it on it's own serial port (i.e. a separate one from the
mouse), it works like a champ.

It's not infrared either, so you can use it through walls (doesn't have to
be line-of-sight).  That doesn't buy you much as a TV remote, but since the
support is in moused, you can write apps that allow you to control things
on your computer using the remote control while you're in another room
(without an infrared relay).

 |What's a good X10 card I can stick in my computer, and is there anything
 |readable I could find?  This is *interesting*.

Here's the URL:
   http://www.x10.com/products/x10_mk19a.htm

No board to stick in your computer.  Just a little radio receiver job to
plug into an unused serial port.

 |OK, I'll do that on Friday evening, just after my last final.  I did
 |pretty well on the one today, and decided to give myself the rest of the
 |day off to look at this neat stuff.  Glad I did, this is great.

Good luck with it.  Just finished my last one last Tuesday.

 |One point, tho, the mute on fxtv works, but the volume slider doesn't.
 |My hardware, my configuration, or a bug?

Well, could be fxtv hasn't been configured to point to the audio channel
you've chosen to use.  Line input is the default.

The mute function mutes the audio at the TV board, not the soundcard, so
it's not surprising that that works but the volume control doesn't (volume
is adjusted on the soundcard).  You probably want to tweak this resource:

   Fxtv.mixerChannel:     line

Set it to "cd" if you have your TV audio piped into the CD input of your
soundcard.  If you have it plugged into the microphone input (I've only
heard of one person that's done this), then well, you'll need to patch
the source.  In tvaudio.c, change:

        Mixer_dev_id   = SOUND_MIXER_LINE;
        Mixer_dev_mask = SOUND_MASK_LINE;
to:
        Mixer_dev_id   = SOUND_MIXER_MIC;
        Mixer_dev_mask = SOUND_MASK_MIC;

and Fxtv.mixerChannel to line.

Note that for testing, you can also set the mixer channel via command line.
E.g. "fxtv -mixerChannel cd"

Randall