Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:10:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrei Popov <ceesaxp@m-net.arbornet.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ceesaxp@m-net.arbornet.org
Subject:   ppp, bind, and /etc/resolv.conf

Could not find anything in the mail archives -- so here's this:

I've got a FreeBSD box at home which I use as a gateway/nameserver/
caching proxy server on the local network.  I've got bind running
on it, everything works fine -- all local hosts resolve, etc...

I also use the same machine to dial-up to my ISP.  I run ppp with -nat
and -auto options.  It also works fine.  All machines on the LAN access
the Net via this box.

When the link comes up ppp adds 2 nameserver records to the bootom of
/etc/resolv.conf for the nameserver addresses of the ISP machine. I
also have a record for my box in it, like so:

   # /etc/resolv.conf
   search vogon.my.domain my.domain

   # entries added by ppp
   nameserver 217.98.20.34
   nameserver 194.204.152.34

All happy nad jolly, until I do a

   # killall ppp

PPP gets killed all right, but it also takes the first nameserver line
from /etc/resolv.conf with it -- ruining the local NS.  Why?  Or, for
that matter, why only one, and not all 3?

Thanks.

P.S. Just in case -- this is on a -CURENT box