Date:      Sun, 5 Jun 2011 16:07:12 -0700
From:      Matthew Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to start KDE4 on freebsd 7.4-RELEASE

On Jun 5, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Mathew,
>=20
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Matthew Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net> =
wrote:
>> I updated my FreeBSD box from 6.4 to 7.4 using freebsd-update, got my =
installed ports in order and updated and installed/updated kde4-4.6.3 =
and all its dependancies. Xorg works ( i can run twm successfully), but =
trying to start kde bombs out. It looks like kded is barfing trying to =
get a  a lock on the shared cache.  Everything's up to date as of a =
portsnap fetch this morning. Output from startx follows. Hopefully =
someone can help, as I'm out of ideas.
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>> mnavarre.
>>=20
>> Script started on Sun Jun  5 13:42:25 2011
>> startx
>> xauth:  file /home/mnavarre/.serverauth.59871 does not exist
>>=20
>>=20
>> X.Org X Server 1.7.7
>> Release Date: 2010-05-04
>> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
>> Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.4-RC3 i386
>> Current Operating System: FreeBSD reichlieu.lan 7.4-RELEASE FreeBSD =
7.4-RELEASE #0: Thu Feb 17 03:51:56 UTC 2011     =
root@walker.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
>> Build Date: 28 May 2011  10:30:45PM
>>=20
>> Current version of pixman: 0.21.4
>>        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>>        to make sure that you have the latest version.
>> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (=3D=3D) default =
setting,
>>        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>>        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
>> (=3D=3D) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jun  5 13:42:25 =
2011
>> (=3D=3D) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
>> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
>> expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadToggle: line 123 of inet
>> kbuildsycoca4 running...
>> kbuildsycoca4(59915) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry =
MimeType in ".hidden/kommander.desktop" is not compliant with XDG =
standard (missing trailing semicolon).
>> startkde: Starting up...
>> Connecting to deprecated signal =
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
>> kded(59942)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate lock =
to guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
>> kded(59942)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup, =
this system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or =
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
<snip>
2011_______________________________________________
>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to =
>>=20
>=20
> I can see that startx might be looking for kde 3, the line :
>=20
> kde3: not found
> kde3: not found
>=20

I was wondering about that myself, but KDE has never been installed on =
this machine until now. I thought I'd gotten all the old KDE cruft rm'ed =
from $HOME
> and you have kde 4.6.3 latest and greatest.
>=20
> Question:
> Do you have
> exec startkde in ~/.xinitrc
>=20
> or
>=20
> exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde in ~/.xinitrc

The kde4 line is in ~/.xinitrc
>=20
> Because the first one is for kde 3 while the next one(above) is for
> kde 4.  If you try to create another user and the user is able to
> login, then it might be a problem with the old settings?
>=20

I created a new user with an empty $HOME,  added the startkde line to =
.xinitrc and had the same problem. I did notice that drkonqi is crashing =
and writing out a .core file, so I'll see if gdb can tell me anything.
Thanks,
mnavarre