Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:12:50 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade recommendations

>FreeBSD the hardest thing to beat into peoples heads has been "don't use
>-current on critical machines."

Thanks for insisting on that too! I don't have, by any means, a
"critical" machine - it's just a play web site and mailing list -
but I do like to have them up, so perhaps I'll stay away for now.

>time "keeping up" (bad). There have been serious issues with ssh,
>apache, and probably other things since 4.5. You may be vulnerable.

All valid concerns. But I don't use ssh (have it turned off) and
I have kept Apache patched. I do run some updates, just haven't
jumped whole hog into the water.

>"Make buildworld", "make installworld", mergemaster, and "make kernel"
>can be performed on a running system. Then with any luck you are only a
>reboot away from being updated. That's what I do.

You know, I will probably do that, to the recent 4.7, now that I
think about it a little more.
--
Jonathan Arnold             (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
The Incredible Brightness of Seeing, a Home Theater weblog