Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:50:19 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help, I can't boot FreeBSD anymore

Thank you. The problem seems solved <whew>, though I'm not quite sure why.
I decided to boot again, and went to read a book for a while.

When I came back, the system was finally booted, but acted eratic. df
claimed my 8 Gig drive was 108% full. I deleted entire directories, but df
kept reporting the same. I ran MAKEDEV all. It recreated /dev/null, thank
goodness, before it failed for lack of disk space. The hard disk LED was
just churning (or rather the disk was, the LED was blinking like crazy).

I typed "reboot". After a long period of disk syncing, the system did
reboot, though it said / was not dismounted properly (that would be the 8
Gig drive). However, it booted fairly quickly, df reported the big drive
was 21% full, and everything was fine and dandy. Also /dev/null seems
working right. I tried the same as before (tags 9999999 > /dev/null), and
it worked as it was supposed to.

So, I can go back to programming again. I am not sure what the heck
happened (or for that matter how my /dev/null turned into a file), but as
long as everything is working I'm happy. :)

Thanks for your help,

Adam