Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 23:22:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.org, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

> Yes, please get rid of the locked buffer stuff.  That code is EVIL.
>
> BTW,do you have any plans for removing the 64k I/O limitation?  It sorta
> sucks when you want to write a 1meg segment to have to cut it up into such
> small pieces.

You have always hated that!!!  I plan to do something to create alternate
mappings: segments.  Segments will probably use a yet to be enhanced
VM/Buffer cache pbuf mechanism (not to be confused with VJ's networking
pbufs.)  There will be no 64K limitation as such.  I am still listening
to "bright ideas" though :-).

John