Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 110 12:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mcafee.com>
To:        mark@seeware.DIALix.oz.au (Mark Hannon)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp with dynamic password

> Hi,
>
> I have just started using a new dialin system to my employer.  The
> login script consists of a dynamically allocated password (the password
> is set by a little credit-card device which is synced to a master clock
> and generates the password).
>
> Anybody with any ideas how to set this up with ppp??

	There is an obscure option with (some implementations of???)
	the shadow password suite -- where you specify an alternative
	authentication method in the master password file (/etc/master.passwd)
	like so:

ppp:@/usr/local/bin/secureID:1:31::0:0:Point-to-Point Protocol:/export/home:
jimd:$1$RxhpZpOH.:1000:1000::0:0:James T. Dennis:/home/jimd:/usr/local/bin/bash

	Note that the ppp entry above has a password that starts with an
	"@" ("at" sign) and then specificies a hypothetical program which
	will prompt for, read and validate a password.  I seem to recall
	that I experimented with this briefly and confirmed that it worked
	under Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD.  The program specified should
	return a 0 exit value for a valid response and a non-zero to
	signify non-authorization (I tested with a shell script -- that
	would be *horribly* insecure in practice).

	Hope that helps.

Jim Dennis,
former System Administrator,
McAfee Associates