Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:58:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Aled Morris <aledm@routers.co.uk>
To:        Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, lem@cantv.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel on Compaq anyone?

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Niall Smart wrote:
> On Mar 18,  9:06am, John Polstra wrote:
> > I don't know the answer to your question, but I would be surprised if
> > SMP FreeBSD ran on Compaq machines.  Compaq, like the neighborhood
> > dog, is incapable of walking past a bush without pissing on it.
>
> I was using FreeBSD on an HP E40 for development last summer and it worked
> fine.  I think they make multiprocessor versions of these machines,
> I have no experience of them but they might be worth a look.

I have just loaded 3.0-SNAP on a dual PII-266 IBM PC Server 325 and it
seems to run just fine.

I would recommend the IBM hardware wholehartedly.  We have quite a few of
the 325's now - all in the "rack drawer" (i.e. 19" rack mount) configuration.
They aren't too expensive either, < US$3K for single PII-266 w/64MB RAM
(diskless but includes Adaptec wide SCSI and a SCSI CD-ROM) with a slot for
the second CPU and VRM.

Aled
--
tel  +44 973 207987                     O-
aledm@routers.co.uk