Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 1997 02:21:17 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Brian Buchanan <brian@wasteland.calbbs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating without downloading the entire distribution

>1) Do I need to rebuild any of my old non-system binaries to protect
>myself from the stack overwite bug being discussed on the
>freebsd-security list?

   Yes. The old binaries will still be linked with libc.so.2.2 and will
continue to use that library. The upgrade you did would not have updated
that library to contain the fixes (the libc in 2.2 is libc.so.3.0). You can
fix all those things built shared by getting the fixed libc.so.2.2 from the
soon-to-be- released FreeBSD 2.1.7...or you can rebuild the binaries so that
they are linked with libc.so.3.0.

-DG

David Greenman