Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2021 09:12:27 +0200
From:      Peter Cornelius <pcc@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Aw: Re: Wifi scanner for FreeBSD

G'day, folks,
=C2=A0
Regarding the first post, I would not mind to see such application in port=
s myself though I think that the mobile apps suggest more than they hold=2E
=C2=A0
Regarding 2=2E4 GHz WiFi, I have come to the conclusion that I will avoid =
that band with WiFi wherever I can=2E I have the experience from my earlier=
 place in town where I was able to see the beacons of the order of 50 wlans=
, that a single station not on one of the non-overlapping bands [1] causes =
so much interference to all on one of the non-overlapping ones that there i=
s no throughput at all for anyone=2E I don't know what kind of pot people h=
ad when they invented that standard, but that's how it is=2E
=C2=A0
When you use such 'free' channel (as in the image at the mail starting thi=
s thread), all that happens is that you can't decode the others, and the ot=
hers can't decode your emissions but you very effectively interfere with ea=
ch other, making the entire spectrum unusable=2E And all the blue teeth and=
 other emissions on that band just add to that=2E
=C2=A0
In short, if all stick to the non-overlapping channels (and do not bundle)=
, one may get some throughput as the protocol can control the channel=2E If=
 one deviates, forget it=2E
=C2=A0
Just my 2 cents=2E
=C2=A0