Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:00:53 -0500
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NT-Unix network

Thanks to everyone who answered. To mp, let me say that I'm using NAT,
so the use of 7.7.7.x hasn't caused any problems. However, I have the
FreeBSD 4.4 CD on order and I will be doing a fresh install onto new
HDs when it arrives. At that point, I will reconfigure the LAN to use
one of the blocks reserved for private non-registered use.

Apparently, I didn't provide enough information. I have the following
LAN:
sten.alder.net - FreeBSD 4.3
bronse.alder.net - Win2000
jern.alder.net - FreeBsd 4.3

sten is the Internet gateway (NAT), caching DNS server, and print
server for the other two hosts. Everything works perfectly.

Now I'm trying to add gylne.alder.net, a WinNT host. Gylne is
mentioned in the hosts.lpd file, and in the alder.rev and
db.alder.net files files in /etc/namedb. I can ping and traceroute
from sten to gylne, and I can ping and tracert from gylne to any
host on the LAN or on the Internet. I can nslookup gylne from sten,
or any host on the Internet from gylne.

However, when I created an lpr port as per the instructions in both
Ted Middelstaedt's book and the OReilly Print Server book, I got this
message:
    The server name you specified could not be resolved.
I tried adding two ports, 'sten' and 'sten.alder.net'. Both resulted in
this message. When I try to print, I get a message that says
    Error writing to STEN:LP for document test page. An unexpected network
    error occurred.
When I try to use IE, I get
    Could not open http://www.google.com/

I've added sten in the NT configuration as the default gateway.

Once again, I don't have any problems with the FreeBSD or Win2000 hosts
served by sten.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Bob Hall
--
Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.        -Khushhal Khan Khatak