Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:13:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "kenneth.j.krumm.1" <kkrumm@purdue.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   install question/problem

I have an old 386 with 8mg ram and a 500 meg hard drive.  Yesterday, I
tried to install FreeBSD with ftp from your primary server over my
ethernet card.  To get the system to recognize my ethernet card i had to
change settings on the boot disk kernel.  The way I chose to partition my
disk was:

/ 32M
swap 64M
/var 30M
/usr 394M

I decided to install the "user" source kit.  Everything was fine and it
finished installing in about a half hour to hour.  But when the system
rebooted for the first time, it did not find the ethernet card.  All of
the settings I had chosen for the initial kernel were gone.  It instead
loaded the default kernel.  So I could no longer connect to the network.
I decided I would update my installation to the "developer" source kit so
I could change the kernel.  So I used the boot disk and began to download
the files for the developer source kit, but within a minute I had run out
of disk space.  Is my hard drive too small for the developer source kit?
Can you recommend a better way to partition my hard drive?  Should I even
try to run FreeBSD on such an old machine?  It would probably help if I
told you what I wanted to run on it.  Basically, I would like a unix
machine to program in C and C++ and possibly to run an Apache web server
and or ftp and telnet.  If nothing else I would like to use it as a
router.  Please email me any answers, information, or comments you have.
Thank you for your time.

Kenneth Krumm
kkrumm@purdue.edu