Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 14:49:21 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Sam Stephenson <sstephenson@charter.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@pike.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Motif goes open source

Sam Stephenson wrote:

> On Monday, May 15, 2000 at 03:09a, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > "The Open Group, a vendor and technology-neutral consortium dedicated to
> > enterprise integration, announced today that it is releasing the source
> > code of Motif, using a public license, to the Open Source community."
> >
> > Full details at http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif
> >

> Check out the web page:
>
> "We want to support the momentum of Open Source operating systems such as
> Linux(R) and FreeBSD by developing an Open Motif(R)..."
>
> and
>
> "UNIX and Motif are registered trademarks of The Open Group in the US and
> other countries. The Open Group and the X Window System are trademarks of
> The Open Group. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds."

Sorry, it's not anymore.  There are two registrations for the simple
trademark "Linux", including:

	Rosch, AG (Swiss) for laundry detergents and laundry bleaches
	for home use; cleaning preparations for home use; degreasing
	preparations for home use; general purpose scouring powders;
	skin soap for personal use; perfume; essential oils for
	personal use; preparations for personal hygiene and cosmetic
	purposes, hair tonic; toothpaste.

	Croce, William R. Della, Jr., 33 Snow Hill St. Boston MA 02113
	computer operating system software to facilitate computer use
	and operation.  CHANGE IN REGISTRATION HAS OCCURRED.

I prefer to use the first because it amuses me.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe FreeBSD is a registered trademark
> of some organization -- FreeBSD, Inc., Walnut Creek, or BSDI.  Someone
> should politely inform The Open Group of FreeBSD's trademark status.

	WALNUT CREEK CDROM, INCORPORATED
	1547 Palos Verdes Mall, Suite 260 Walnut Creek CALIFORNIA 94596

I see no reason you shouldn't inform them yourself.  Do you?

	http://trademarks.uspto.gov/cgi-bin/search4?ENG+3