Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:34:19 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spellings [was Re: BSDCon East]

> > I just asked a French teacher of my acquaintance. She said it's true,
> > it can be interpreted in that way.
>
> No more than the english term "black hole" can be interpreted as
> meaning "anus".

Meaning, I presume, "not at all."

Well, she isn't a native speaker, but nor, I think, are you. I don't
have an opinion on whether this is true, but generally I find a
statement from a non-native speaker that "there exists such a
colloquialism" more believable than a statement that "there does not
exist such a colloquialism." I mean the speaker may not have heard of
it; but if he/she has heard of it, it can't be totally uncommon.

For example, I believe my English (grammar and vocabulary) is around
as good as that of most native speakers, but there must be dozens of
informal phrases in England/America/Australia that I'd be unfamiliar
with.  Many English speakers in other parts of the world may not know
what "nuts" actually refers to, colloquially, in the US, though they
may have heard the expression.