Date:      Sun, 23 May 2004 02:59:28 -0400
From:      Brian Feldman <green@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Network Stack Locking

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 07:32:08AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-May-20 23:32:53 +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> >Robert Watson wrote:
> >> Note that there are some serious issues with the current locking changes:
> >Progress happens incrementally.  Put in Green's kqueue locking, have
> >that working correctly and make it perfect in a second step.
>
> I don't believe this is the correct approach at this time.  Brian's
> code removes functionality that people have stated that they _do_ use.
> In theory, John-Mark's approach offers better performance without the
> loss of functionality.  Before implementing Brian's code, the Project
> needs to decide which direction it should move in.

*shrug*  I added recursive kqueues because some people indicated that
they actually had reason to use it.  I still haven't added the
NOTE_TRACK functionality because there is no known project in the
entire world that uses it, so it has no chance of breaking anything
at all for me by not having it.

Anyway, I still want to see any alternative kqueue locking
implementations. I haven't even seen a complete enough description of
what the proposed change is supposed to look like to know whether it
actually solves all of the issues that kqueue has now. If someone posts
all the details and not just bits and pieces.... I don't know why I am
the only person to have taken a shot at a complete implementation when
the subsystem is so completely MP-broken already.

  <> green@FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \