Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 00:43:35 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@fast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm Problem

    Using the defaults that are set up from the 3.4 installation,
I went on to set up .xsession files for both root and my regular user
account, then started xdm from root's shell prompt.

    I can't log in at all with the regular user account.  I get
"Incorrect password" (which may be the case--I'll have to reset that
password).  When I attempt to log in as root, the screen goes black,
and then xdm recycles itself and I get the login screen back.  I
can't break out of this--CTRL-Alt-Backspace just causes the cycle to
repeat.  The only way out is to push the button and reboot the
machine (which I *hate* doing when non-journaling file systems are
involved).

    Can I beg, borrow, or rent a clue from someone?

Thanks,

Chris BeHanna             "The fact that an opinion has been widely
Software Consultant        held is no evidence whatever that it is
behanna@nospam.fast.net    not utterly absurd."  -- Bertrand Russell