Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:54:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Joe Loughry" <loughry@qwest.net>
To:        JSMolinaro@hotmail.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BOOT

This sounds like the answer to your question:

> While booting the install floppy, user sees the following message
>   and nothing seems to happen, nor can anything be entered from the keyboard:
>
>      Keyboard: no
>
> Fix: Due to a lack of space, full support for old XT/AT (84-key) keyboards
>      is no longer available in the bootblocks.  Some notebook computers may
>      also have this type of keyboard and if you are still using this kind of
>      hardware, you will see the above message about no keyboard being found
>      when you boot from an installation CD-ROM or floppy.
>
>      As soon as you see the message, hit the space bar and you will see
>      the following prompt:
>
>        >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
>        Default: x:xx(x,x)/boot/loader
>        boot:
>
>      Then enter `-Dh', and things should proceed normally with your keyboard
>      type.  This only happens once at initial installation time and will
>      not be a problem afterwards.

Hope this helps.  I had the same problem on one of my computers, with an
original IBM PC/AT keyboard plugged into it.  This is true for every version
of FreeBSD from 3.2-RELEASE to the present.  Once you find the solution, it's
not a problem anymore.  But it's obscure, and wasn't easy to figure out the
first time.

Good luck!

-Joe