Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:11:04 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Justin Stanford <jus@4dds.co.za>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Purchasing new notebook.. Dell Inspiron 2600 work okay with RELENG_4?

Hi,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new notebook. The one requirement I
have is that the machine be able to run FreeBSD and that the onboard
10/100 NIC work. The machine that I am considering is a Dell Inspiron 2600
(1.06GHz Celeron, 384mb RAM, DVD-ROM, 20gb, etc).

Is there any reason to be advised against buying this machine, in terms of
compatability with FreeBSD? Is there a chance the DVD-ROM may fail to
operate as a normal CD-ROM in FreeBSD's eyes? I have searched around and
found little to no reference to the 2600 and FreeBSD (It appears to be a
relatively recent model) other than one person who had problems which were
solved by removing EISA from GENERIC.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Justin

Justin Stanford                             4D Digital Security (Pty) Ltd.
Digital Security Consultant     PO Box 2349, Clareinch, 7740, South Africa
Cell: (082) 7402741                                     Tel: (021) 6712342
E-Mail: justin@4dds.co.za                               Fax: (021) 6831104
http://www.4dds.co.za                                      info@4dds.co.za
       PGP Key: http://people.4dds.co.za/~jus/jus-pgp-key.txt