Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 22:09:00 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: recent diffs

> A couple of times recently, there have been suggestions made that I make
> manual changes to my sources, to get past problems with the lib makefile
> and with threading.  Doing that works nicely for folks running sup, but
> for us running ctm, getting out of sync with the CVS tree, even by one
> byte, means that ctm breaks without hope of repair, and an entire new
> source tree has to be downloaded.  Since many of us are connected through
> hosts that make it difficult to download 30 meg chunks, this means going
> out and begging for ftp space.  Distasteful.

I have always planned, but never gotten around to make ctm handle this.

The working concept is that if we are working on file "FOO" then if
there exist a file FOO.ctm, then I will apply the change to that instead.

That way you can change a file like this:

	cp foo_file.c foo_file.c.ctm
	vi foo_file.c
	and so on...

Now as you have noticed, patch can be told what suffix to use instead
of ".orig" soo...

Only problem, I havn't had time.

It's a nice little and rather simple problem to add this to ctm, so if
you feel that something like this is missing...  (... he said
knowingly, nudge, nudge, wink, wink!!) :-)

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.