From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsupd error?

Hi,

John Polstra wrote on Fri, May 04, 2001 at 07:23:28PM -0700:
[..]
> > I guess thats me. This path in the warning message looked
> > too familiar :-/
> > I also found the DISCLAIMER,v in the corresponding
> > directory, deleted it, and started a manual update.
> >
> > I wonder how I could get the bad file.
> > I update hourly from cvsup-master (with -s), but
> > daily without (doing a 'hard' update).
>
> Too bad you deleted the file -- it would have been interesting to
> look at it.
Yes, especially, when I slept over it. It came to mind, that
it needn't be me, who is David mirroring from, since this
the place for a cvsup / prefixes directory is possible not
too uncommon. It was a bit late last night *yawn*.
So I checked my cvsupd log, and there was no client from
Canada the last months, which would not be very sensible
anyway. Another case to remind oneself of the valuable hints
in the HHGTG: Don't Panic ;)

Anyway, if David would tell us, where he is mirroring from,
when he is not cvsup'ing from his own machine, it would
help to check if your problem described below applies to
someone of us.

> I can tell you that I've helped people with this kind of problem a
> good 2 dozen times over the past 5 years, and it has always turned out
> to be the same thing.  Namely, there is either a block of 0 bytes or
> a random block of some totally unrelated file splatted somewhere into
> the victim file.  Furthermore, the block is always a multiple of 4K or
> maybe 8K bytes, and it is always aligned to the same multiple.  That
> kind of file corruption is a sure sign of hardware trouble, kernel
> bugs, or a damaged filesystem.  I should mention I've seen a lot
Ouch. Hmmm I remember to have read about symtoms like these
on one of the other lists, but I don't recall the context.
Could have been vinum (*argh, no Greg, please don't, ...
I promise,... aaaaaaaargh, I will never rant about vinum
again, ... I will never send any crash dumps again, nooooo) :-).
No seriously, don't remember.

[..]
> BTW, when you have to manually delete a file like this, you should
> turn off "-s" until the next update has finished.  That option assumes
> you're not messing around inside the repository.
Yes, thats what I did.

[..]
> Yes, it's definitely on cvsup-master, and it looks valid.
Phew, at least something to rely on. :)

Regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock     - Cool people don't move, they just hang around. -
Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * ++49 89 289 25735  * http://www.leo.org/~dl/