Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 94 22:11:42 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        nate@bsd.coe.montana.edu (Nate Williams)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, pk@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shared library question

> What happens in our shlib implementation when the user supplies his own
> version of a function that also appears in the shlib?

It's supposed to resolve the symbol to the first definition, period.

> Made up example:

[ ... ]

Real example:

The VendorShell widget class in libXm, and the one in libXaw, which is an
override class for the vendorShell in libXt.

Ever wonder why you can't use Motif and Xaw widgets reliably in the same
application?  Now you know.  Many of Xt's other subclassing widgets are also
replaceable.

In this example, the VendorShell widget class is referenced by pulled in
routines in libXm and so gets included before libXt.

Woe to the person who dicks with link order of libraries to make things
work instead of properly ranlib'ing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---