Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:24:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Ken Wills <kenwills@tds.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Desktop Meta-ports Re: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop?

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Ken Wills wrote:

[heavily trimmed]

> On the flip side, the instant-workstation port shouldn't try to
> please everyone - that's what 'cd /usr/ports; make install' is for
> :-) . This would be way too big.

Actually, what we need are three "desktop meta-ports" like this:

Web User
  Pretty X environment, browsers (flash, etc), email.  All in X.

Power User
  All of the above plus apps (office stuff: Open/Star Office, other user
  apps).

Developer
  All of the above, plus editors, compilers, network tools and
  monitors, CLI email and news readers also.

As Greg mentioned, "instant" is maybe not the right word to use. 8-)

Any more than three of these would probably be too confusing.  Another
option would be for a port to have a user interface like the one in
Ghostscript: let the user choose whether they want pine or mutt, tin or
slrn (or none).