Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:21:05 +1100
From:      Michael Vince <mv@roq.com>
To:        "Steinberg, Michael" <michael_steinberg@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde

Steinberg, Michael wrote:

>im compiling kde from the ports for about the hundreth time and something
>always goes wrong this time its more simple than most but i can't seem to
>find what im looking for. It attempted to fetch a library called tiff.4 in
>several places and found nothing. It asked me to find it and ive been
>looking all over google and got nothing. Does anybody know where i can find
>this library?
>Thanx,
>Max

Maybe you just got to get more down and dirty.
If its really getting tough and there seems no end in sight try a
"portupgrade -kfa" which I have always assumed stands for (along with
the old doom cheat codes) "Kick F**ken Ass" :)

Also try with the -p switch to create packages which might save some
time on mass package nukes and retrys, or even a -O to ignore dependencies.
Also if you get stuck on something small like tiff try just installing
it as a package over the internet.
pkg_add -r tiff
to install a binary package of it, you could also do a -f on that to
force it, which is something that should be considered to at the top of
your list.

I almost always have a good look through my /var/db/pkg before and after
even the most ruthless portupgrade I usually find it remarkably clean.