Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:07:17 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        "J.C.Travers" <J.C.Travers@durham.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Application menus

"J.C.Travers" wrote:

> Is there a system in FreeBSD to register applications with a menu
> database (just like the menu system in Debian) so that X windows menus
> can be automatically created. If not is there a viable way to do this
> (some sort of python script or something). For an idea of the sort of
> thing look at the debian menu package, it seems very simple and easy to
> implement, it just needs a field in the package config file.
>
> Cheers,
> John Travers
>
> P.s. I'm not on the list, could you please post to me in person?

Most windowing environments, (eg KDE/GNOME), come with a menubar of some
sort. KDE's application bar derives it's contents (by default using
FreeBSD port anyhow) from /usr/local/share/applnk, directories/shortcuts
as created with KFM. Similar in contrast to how M$ controls the 'Start'
menu. If you want something script-based, then I'd suggest fvwm, or
something along that line. I use qvwm (Win98 lookalike WM) on a few
Sparcstations here, and you just need to have a .qvwmrc file containing
the user(s) application menu, (rather simplistic form). I guess it all
depends on what you intend upon accomplishing? I'm not sure what the
Debian menu package looks like so I've nothing to compare to as far as
that goes.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com