Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 21:11:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cable download varies w/FreeBSD

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Bhishan Hemrajani wrote:

> Do you know what might be the cause of these slow speeds at times?
> Because I usually go around 250kbytes/sec on the average. And
> if I'm lucky I can get up to 500kbytes/sec.

500kbytes will probably read as 500KB. While 500kbits will read 500Kb.
Please note the case of the "b's", KB and Kb. As far as I know the cable
modems through AT&T are limited to 1.5 Mbits per second. This only
translates to 187KBytes, again note the case. In other words at the cable
modems most optimum speed it can only do 187KByte per second.

The fastest burst speed I've ever seen out of my cable modem is ~1.4Kbits
per second. Or, 175KBytes. If you're getting 500KBytes per second on a $40
Internet connection I want to move to your neighborhood! ;)

David
Software Eng. - NetManage
Work email: david.daugherty@netmanage.com
Home email: doc@wcug.wwu.edu