Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 15:47:41 -0700
From:      Joshua Peck Macdonald <jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        nils@guru.ims.uni-stuttgart.de (Cornelis van der Laan)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lang/gnat

> > gcc: installation problem, cannot exec gnat1: No such file or directory
> > gmake: *** [ada.o] Error 1
> > *** Error code 2
>
> [...]
>
> > after linking the cc_int library.  The problem is, gnat1 doesn't exist
> > anywhere on the system at this point (not even in work/gnat-2.03-src).
>
> As I noted in the Makefile, you need a binary of gnat to compile gnat.
>
> So where's the binary? If the network permits, have a look at
> /ftp.ims.uni-stuttgart.de:/pub/unix/FreeBSD/gnat-2.03-FreeBSD-2.0.tar.gz
>
> The contents are to be installed in /usr/bin, /usr/libexec, /usr/adainclude
> and /usr/lib/adalib. Maybe someone builds a new gnat to be installed in
> /usr/local and puts a package on the CD?

This seems to be a lot like the g77 port.  It doesn't seem to compile
on thud for the same reason g77 didn't.  The configure script is the
same as the one for g77, which leads me to beleive that the changes
I made to allow g77 to work in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/libexec will
work for gnat too.  All it requires is a simple mod to Makefile.inc
from the root of the source tree:

CFLAGS+=      -DSTANDARD_EXEC_PREFIX=\"${PREFIX}/libexec/\"
CFLAGS+=      -DSTANDARD_STARTFILE_PREFIX=\"${PREFIX}/lib/\"

This will tell it to look in the right place.  I would do it (in time
for the code freeze) except I have finals and don't know a bit of ada
to see if I'm doing anything right and don't even know of any ada code
I could test it on ( I tested g77 on several fortran libraries ).  If
you (Nils) or anyone else would like to see this port working for the
freeze they should take a look at the changes I made to the g77 port,
they should make gnat work fine.

-josh