Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 01:31:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   "upgrade" to 2.2.8R failure

Or, rather my failure.

Tried an upgrade from 2.2.1R over the net with /stand/sysinstall
on one of the machines on my LAN. (Minimal - since it is a client
for NFS and NIS. However for the purpose of the upgrade it is
"deconfigured." Everything is turned off.)

Got through all of the small stuff like the /etc/sysconfig to
/etc/rc.conf conversion, small adjustments to /etc/fstab, and then
forgetting the address of my LAN card.

I boots but no login. It stops after what looks like the whole
boot process right where it prints the date and time. Then nothing.
It reboots with a ctrl-alt-del and I can bring it up single user,
mount all file systems, and do just about everything I would expect.

What Am I Missing?! (Other than brains...) It is right where I
had it when I did a minimun install from the CDROM.

Thanks in advance! (Now to sleep.)

John