Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:22:29 +0100
From:      "J.C.Travers" <J.C.Travers@durham.ac.uk>
To:        webmaster@wmptl.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Application menus

This isn't quite what I meant, I understand how to make menus manually
(i.e.using scripts with fvwm etc) but what I was wondering is if there
is anything automated.
The debian system is like this: every time a debian package is installed
(similar to pkg_add) it registers itself with a central database. Then
a  program called 'menu' reads this database and then allows the
window-managers to read this as a preconfigured menu that displays all
of the apps on the system. So when I start up windowmaker or kde etc, I
get a menu of all the apps on the system (not just kde ones) split into
sections (graphics, editors etc).
I can't see that this would be hard to implement (afterall, doesn't
pkg_add register the packages somewhere) I was just wondering if it had
been done. I find it a little frustrating to not know exactly whats on
my system.

Thanks for the interest,
Cheers
John