Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 97 17:37:07 -0800
From:      "That Doug Guy" <tiller@connectnet.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Brandon C. Wood" <bwood@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:   FreeBSD + OS/2 = success :-)  (Was: extended partition?)

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 21:46:31 -0800 (PST), Doug White wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Brandon C. Wood wrote:
>
>> Can FreeBSD be installed on an extended partition only (to be booted
with
>> the OS/2 boot manager), or do the files need to have their own primary
>> partition?
>
>They need to be in their own partition type, not a DOS partition.  You
>will need to split off some space or delete one of your DOS partitions to
>make room for FreeBSD.

	I'd like to add some detail to this if I may, since I was struggling with
the same problem and finally found a fix.  OS/2's fdisk utility is fairly similar in
the way it shows information about the disk to MS-DOS based fdisk.  My
original plan was this:

Primary Partition:  OS/2 Boot Manager
Primary Partition: C: drive with DOS
Logical Partition:  D:  Free space, intended home for FreeBSD
Logical Partition:  E:  OS/2 system
Logical Partition:  F:  OS/2 data (HPFS formatted)

	As I've come to discover, this won't work at all.  It turns out
that the key element here is that you CANNOT install FreeBSD in an
extended partition. You also need to remember that once you've installed
FreeBSD, OS/2's fdisk will see the FreeBSD partition/slice as a primary
partition.  From a space allocation perspective, it's important to remember that
you can only have 4 primary partitions on a disk; or 3 primary and one
extended partition, which can then be broken up into more than one logical
drive.  Also, when viewed from FreeBSD's fdisk, the whole extended
partition looks like ONE slice, no matter how many logical drives are on it.
So be very careful when you use FreeBSD's fdisk to pick your FreeBSD
install slice.

	What finally worked for me, was using OS/2's fdisk to delete
the D: partition above.  To solve the problem of all of my drive letters
moving, I created a 1M logical drive D: at the end of the free space then
booted with the FreeBSD install disk.  The install routine picked the free
space by default, and it installed cleanly.  Once you've successfully installed
FreeBSD, you'll have to use OS/2's fdisk from either the Warp Utility Disk
boot, or use the OS/2 install disks and exit to a prompt.  Just add the
FreeBSD partition to the Boot Manager menu, mark the Boot Manager
partition Startable, and you're off and running.  :-)

	OS/2's fdisk currently shows:

Primary Partition:  OS/2 Boot Manager
Primary Partition: C: DOS
Primary Partition        Type A5
Logical Partition:  D:
Logical Partition:  E:  OS/2 system
Logical Partition:  F:  OS/2 data (HPFS formatted)

	In this FreeBSD newbies not-so-humble opinion, it is not
anywhere *near* clear enough in the docs that you cannot install FreeBSD
in an extended partition.  I read quite a lot before I tried the install, and
pounded away at it for hours (deleting a mostly backed up DOS partition in
the process) before I figured all this out.  I'm sure that it's perfectly clear to
the "oldbies" that what I wanted to do would not work, and yet when I posted
my first request for help to the questions list, I never got a response from any
of you.  I did get some very helpful people that did their best to give me
some directions to explore, and I am Bcc:'ing this to them so that they will
know I finally got it working.

>The OS/2 Boot Manager can boot FreeBSD fine, btw; I have it here.

	Me too.  :-)  I'm interested in the other boot managers available from
FreeBSD, such as Boot Easy and OS-BS.  Has anyone used either of them
and OS/2 Boot Manager, and would like to comment?  I am loathe to try
experimenting with a working system.

Thanks,

Doug