Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 23:36:42 +0200
From:      Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde ques. - files parse for minutes, very slow.

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 16:29, leegold wrote:
> when I try to use kde help and select a particular
> subject to read, I get a message saying: parsing help file,
> and preparing help file.
>
> Then after about what seems like5 minutes ( a relatively
> long time) the help file does show.During this time my
> hard drive is cranking very hard.
>
> Is there any way I can speed up the help files?
> My system is wrenching its guts just to display
> a help sunbject. But the initial help screen comes
> up fast... it's when I then call up a particular help
> item.
>
> Thanks
>
> I have 48m ram, and a 300m swap file.

I forwarded this mail to the maintainer of the kde docs, and got this
reply...

---
Short answer: make a little script that runs through
/usr/local/share/doc/HTML/en/*/ and does "touch index.cache.bz2" in
each directory.
Or do it by hand, if you have a little time, there's not all that many.

In short,  KHelpcenter looks in order for 1: html files in the
documents directory, 2: a cache file (which is simply the html files
tarred and gzipped, to save space) and 3: the source file, to generate
HTML from.

However, it also checks relative dates on the files, and if the source
file is newer than the cache, assumes that it should re-generate a new
set of html for you to look at.

If you look in the documentation directory, you will see the cache file
is actually present, it's just not being used.  This is a known issue,
and since I just this minute figured out how to fix it, it  should be
repaired in the packages/ports soon.

Regards,

Lauri Watts
---

--
Andy Fawcett      |   "In an open world without walls and fences,
andy@athame.co.uk |      we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."