Date:      16 Oct 2002 12:58:24 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Jonas Fornander" <jonas@netwood.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Probably picked wrong boot loader

"Jonas Fornander" <jonas@netwood.net> writes:

> How can I add the standard boot loader or do I have to re-install again?

I'm fairly sure that you can boot the install floppy and at some point
while it's booting it gives you a chance to interrupt and boot from the
hard disk.  (You might have to wait till you get to the main menu and
then use the "fixit" option and floppy, but I doubt it.)  The problem is
that you have to learn how to name the disk partition which holds the
kernel which you have already installed.  It's probably explained in the
handbook or a paper BSD book.  It's kinda nasty, something like:
0:ad(0,a)

Before you give up and re-install, try just using the menu options
as far as adding the boot loader and then exit out the menues to
reboot (and ctrl-alt-del works too, IIRC).