Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:21:43 -0700
From:      dmp@aracnet.com
To:        Ben Manes <anarchy@crl.com>
Cc:        "Le, Dat" <DLe@vcomcss1.telstra.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitions

Ben Manes wrote:
> For FreeBSD, you'll have to do the same setup, because it just wont work.
> I had to put it on a different drive when using my desktop, and gave up
> on it on my laptop before I moved all the partitions.

For FreeBSD, I believe you just have to get the root partition under
the 1024th cylinder.  One trick that works for me is a slight mod on
the solution you gave: make two slices for FreeBSD.  The first slice
goes at the front of the disk and holds the root partition.  The
second can go whereever, and holds the remaining partitions.

The resulting disk layout would look something like:

1st: FreeBSD root partition
2nd: Linux /boot partition
3rd: FreeBSD's remaining partitions
4th: Linux's remaining partition(s)
5th: Win98 (spanning 1024th cylinder)
6th: WinNT

> So, here's a potential layout. Remember, the 1,024 cylinder limit is at
> about 8.4gb on LBA mode (right?).

8,422,686,720 bytes.  According to drive makers, that's 8.4gB.
According to the computer, exactly 8032.5MB.