Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 03:54:23 -0400
From:      "gerald stoller" <gerald_stoller@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printers, advice on buying re some features

       I am planning to buy a Hewlett-Packard printer (my old one died) for
home use, so I want something inexpensive; my home system is has a large
hard-disk with the first slice holding Microsoft Windows 98 and the second
slice holding FreeBSD.  The printer should work (at least similarly if not)
identically in both operating systems.
       I am also looking for it to have the following features (some of
which are provided by software)
              Capability of printing multiple pages per sheet.
              Capability of printing (a file) on both sides of the sheets.
              Color and B&W printing.
HP has told me that there is LINUX code to implement these features in a
UNIX environment.  [The capability of printing (a file) on both sides of the
sheets is a little tricky, I saw one printer (don’t recall what it was)
where when I asked it to print an 8 page document as 4 pages per sheet
double-sided, on one side of the sheet I had pages 1, 3, 5, & 7, and on the
other side of the sheet I had pages 2, 4, 6, & 8; definitely not what I
wanted.  I want to print an 20 page document as 4 pages per sheet
double-sided, and get one sheet with pages 1-4 & 5-8 on it, another sheet
with pages 9-12 & 13-16 on it, and a final sheet with pages 17-20 on it.]
       Which HP models have such LINUX code?
       The following models (among others) have these features and are
low-priced (but some may be hard to find): 842, 920, 940, 5550, so I am
concentrating my focus on them.