Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 19:29:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        bebest@es.com.sv
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions (technical and non-technical)

I've seen a couple of other replies to this, but just *had* to add my
$0.02.

Stephan R. Hecker writes:
 > 1. Is FreeBSD a Unix-based Operating System?

Yes. FreeBSD is based on the 4.4BSD-Lite distribution from the Computer
Science Research Group (CSRG) at the University of California in
(the People's Republic of) Berekeley.  The BSD releases of UNIX date
back to the late 1970's, when a legendary group of hackers began working
with UNIX 6th and 7th editions from Bell Labs.

 > If it is..
 >   a. For what is Unix specially designed (Networking? Internet?)?

UNIX was originally designed to run a game called 'spacewar.'  Since
this usage wasn't going to keep it alive at Bell Labs, the creators
billed it as a system for writing technical manuals, leading to the
Documentor's Workbench (WDB) version of UNIX.  Later it was again recast
as an ideal programming environment, leading to the Programmer's
Workbench (PWB) version of UNIX.  Later yet, the Berkeley CSRG created
one of the first implementations of the fourth version of the IP
protocol, leading to what we now know as the Internet.  These days,
UNIX's primary strengths still lie in software development and TCP/IP
networking.

 > 2. What is the difference between the X Consortium's X-Window and
 > XFree86 (not including that XFree86 is a portation to the PC)?

None.  XFree86 3.2 is an implementation of X11R6.1 for PCs running a
variety of UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems.  The best of which
is, of course, FreeBSD.  ;^)

 > 3. Where can I get Unix SYSTEM V Release 4 (or higher)? This doesn't
 > mean that I am not interested in your operating system.

For the PC?  Sun or SCO.

 > 4. Is FreeBSD the same as BSD/386?

Similar.  FreeBSD has its roots in 386BSD.  If you mean BSD/OS, the
commercial version of BSD UNIX for PC architecture from BSDI, it also
has roots in 386BSD.

 > If it isn't...
 >    a. Is it compatible?

Pretty much.  Most statically linked BSD/OS executables will run on
FreeBSD.  This is a priority with the FreeBSD core development team,
maintaining compatibility with commercially available applications.

 > TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

These were answered entirely adequately in the other responses I read.
I hope this has been of help to you and others.