Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:02:47 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   documenting nonexistent files

One of the interesting points that arose in the make.conf(5) PR
is the fact that /etc/make.conf (like many other files) doesn't
exist by default and therefore can't be found with ls, let alone
examined for comments.

In some cases, this could be resolved by creating placeholder
files that only have comments.  Unfortunately:

   *  The placeholder file would need to be read by the FreeBSD
      machinery, causing (a small amount of) wasted effort.

   *  Some nonexistent files (e.g., log files) cause things to
      happen when they are created.

   *  Adding files would add clutter to system directories.

Nonetheless, it would be nice if there were an easy way to find
out about such files.  Ideally, the man pages for the programs
that use them would mention them in their FILES sections and a
man page would exist for each one.  Meanwhile, a simple list of
these files, with short descriptions, would be a useful help.

As I have my own (Meta-related) reasons for assembling such a
list, I am willing to collect information that anyone wants to
send me about this sort of file.  At some point, I might even be
brave enough to create a man page!  Meanwhile, I can put the list
up for web access or whatever...

-r

Here is a starting set of names, to give you the general idea:

File			Client				Note
====			======				====

/etc/
   ccd.conf		/etc/rc
   daily.local		/etc/periodic/daily/999.local	(obs.)
   exports		/etc/rc.network
   ipsec.local		/etc/rc.network
   mail/
     sendmail.cf		/etc/rc
   make.conf		/usr/share/mk/sys.mk
   make.conf.local	/usr/share/mk/sys.mk		(error)
   monthly.local		/etc/periodic/monthly/999.local (obs.)
   pccard.conf		/etc/defaults/pccard.conf
   ptmp			/etc/rc				(auto)
   rc.conf.local		/etc/defaults/rc.conf
   rc.diskless1		/etc/rc
   rc.local		/etc/rc
   start_if.*		/etc/rc.network			(auto)
   sysctl.conf		/etc/rc.sysctl
   weekly.local		/etc/periodic/weekly/999.local	(obs.)

/var/
   account/
     acct		/etc/rc				(auto)
   db/