Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2014 17:16:31 +0100
From:      =?windows-1252?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <dumbbell@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forbidden due to CVE-2014-8298: nvidia-driver-173, nvidia-driver-96, nvidia-driver-71

--RTANKhCVstIJ6bRiMDHdRMu0Vbl8hLX7v

On 14.12.2014 12:42, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> I've marked these ports FORBIDDEN for now, but their fate yet to be dec=
ided.
> Last update to -173 legacy branch, 173.14.39 added support for X.org xs=
erver
> ABI 15 (xorg-server 1.15), and it was confirmed to work with upcoming v=
1.14
> update (PR 195781), so it would be unfortunate to lose it just because =
NVidia
> does not care about it anymore and won't provide a fix CVE-2014-8298.

I agree, there's no need to remove -173 for now, as it works.

> So perhaps instead of forbidding them and subsequently removing, we can=

> provide pkg-message that tells users what are they facing and how to st=
ay
> safe (with an legal bla-bla about that FreeBSD cannot guarantee anythin=
> if you use this vulnerable, unmaintained upstream port)?
>=20
> I wonder what other people think.

If the problem is well documented and workarounds are described, I
believe it's fine. Making the user's life easier is more important to me
than this security issue; it's not like we're talking about OpenSSL
here. We already live with the hole for 9 months, it can stay a bit
longer. However, I have no strong opinion on that matter, I'll accept
the decision of more experienced ports/security people :)

--=20
Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron