Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:38:51 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
Cc:        Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>, Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Car Mp3 Player

At 09:36 AM 1/12/99 -0600, Jasper O'Malley wrote:

>Does no one else have a Diamond RIO? I got one fer Christmas and it kicks
>ass. Smaller than a pack of cigarettes, has 32MB of flash memory built-in
>(which is, admittedly, only large enough for four or five good-quality
>MP3s), and I bought a two dollar cord from Radio Shack with a mini stereo
>plug at each end that allows me to plug it into the car stereo.

I think 32mb isn't gonna do it for me :-)..  Sure it's a really neat idea
and all, but I think you'll find there's a difference between using a
'Discman' in a car, and having an in-dash CD player as far as quality goes.
 I'd imagine the jump with the Diamond RIO is the same way, not enough
juice if you want to do some insane amp work in the trunk.

>Of course, the software used to load the music into the RIO only runs on
>Winblows, AFAIK :P Other than that, though, it's rather neat. All solid
>state...no skipping :)

I'd imagine someone is going to try to break it down and develop a UN*X
management tool.  The palmpilot software is only for Windows (maybe Mac
too), but someone did it for that if I recall.

I'd have more respect for the RIO if I could put 512K worth of DIMM's on
the back side of it.  I don't see 1 AA battery supporting 4x128mbx3.3v
though, that'd be 13.2 volts.  Lot of juice, and voltage would have to be
applied in order to keep the memory from erasing as well.

These things will progress better once we have larger sizes of smartcards.
I don't know where the direction is going to go, first they're using hard
drives, now we're back to memory/solid-state, then they have UDMA/66 drives
now.  Probably some big solid-state thing will come along again.  I will
say this though, the Sony Mavica cameras have the right idea when it comes
to floppies for storage.  Even if they probably did it because they don't
want their Magnetic Media Division to lose interest :)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D