Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:41:55 -0400
From:      mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good spoof page for Apache??

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:39:51PM -0400, Lord Raiden wrote:
> 	Hi all.  I'm looking at taking one of our servers that's supposed to be
> for office use only and open it up to the outside.  There's nothing secure
> on it, but I don't want just anybody surfing to it and browsing around.  So
> what I was thinking of doing was in order to fool the average joe who might
> get there by accident or intentionally, I want them to think they have
> recieved a standard browser error and then leave.
>
> 	I've thought about modifying the browser error that IE gives, but I'm not
> sure that will work.  I want it to look like a legitimate client side error
> when they hit the website, yet I want those who know the proper access URL
> to still be able to access the site remotely.  For example, "mydomain.com/"
> would show the mock error, yet "mydomain.com/login.cgi" would still get
> them to where they needed to go.  I just need a way to spoof an error, not
> generate a real one to help keep out nosy bypassers.  Any ideas?

I would say the best way to spoof the errors for the tons
and tons of browsers out there is to generate a real one.

In your case, just don't set any default index names,
so all requests for mydomain.com will be 404's, but
the real login.cgi is still there.

This kind of "security" is bound to get you hacked eventually if
there's even the slightest chink in your armor, though. Others
can relay horror stories if they choose.

mike