Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 06:19:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing (can't get it right)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Lanny Baron wrote:

>  To answer your question as to whether or not I have used the printer with
> another OS. Yes. With NT and 95. Using or trying to use the printer with
> FreeBSD, only prints a a few words,
>                                     then a few more words,
>                                                          then a few more.

Oh ya.  Mine used to do that, too.  :)  Read the handbook.
Everything is explained in there.

In short,

I have the lines

# put your local stuff here
echo Switching printer to polled mode...
lptcontrol -p

in /etc/rc.local.

I use the bjc600 driver from ghostscript.

You need either to reconfigure the printer to accept lf as a crlf
sequence (probably possible, I don't know how), or check the
handbook's "printing" section on using an input filter to do \n
-> crlf substitution.  Alternatively, use apsfilter (from the
ports collection) for everything and you won't need to worry
about this.  apsfilter doesn't know about the bjc600 driver,
don't worry, tell it to use it, anyways.  Use it in colour mode
--- your canon can convert that to greyscale automatically when
the black/white cartridge is used.

>  If you get the picture. One problem for sure is I don't know if the
> printer is ghostscript or postscript (or even what those are :-(. I don't

> blame FreeBSD (the OS or the marvelous minds attached to FreeBSD), I blame
> myself for the lack of understanding Unix.

Lack of understanding your printer, secondarily.  That's due to
not reading the section in the handbook on printing.  (Be warned,
that section is long and tiresome and has a lot more info than
you need...  :-(.

Anyways, I refuse to criticize ~200 page manual with their
printer.  :-)

>  At least the printer does print. Which says that I have the right com.
> And forget about asking Canon. They have no idea. So I am kinda stuck. I
> would love to be able to print from here.

That's pretty poor on their part.  Since they're supposed to know
a little bit about their printers, "slow" should immediately
scream "poll faster" and

does this
         on newlines

should scream "line-termination problem".

--
Only two other people have a .sig like this one.