Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:09:46 +0100
From:      Stephen Allen <sdafreebsduk@rowyerboat.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Invalid credentials" errors using pam_ldap on FreeBSD

Hello,

I'm pretty sure I've done all the necessary steps to be able to ssh to
my FreeBSD box using pam_ldap, but I'm getting "Invalid credentials"
errors whenever I try (I can successfully perform an ldapsearch
operation though).

Here are snippets from my config:

      [/etc/nsswitch.conf]
      passwd: files ldap

      [/etc/pam.d/sshd]
      auth            sufficient       /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so
      auth            required        pam_unix.so

      [/usr/local/etc/ldap.conf]
      base o=brookes
      uri ldap://ldap.brookes.ac.uk:389/
      scope one

And here is the error:

Jul 18 19:19:41 vh1a9f58 sshd[19601]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as
user "uid=p0036343,o=Brookes" (Invalid credentials)

Incidentally, the following ldapsearch query _IS_ successful, and
returns me some details about user 'jsmith'

ldapsearch -H ldap://ldap.brookes.ac.uk -b 'o=brookes' -x -W -D
'uid=me,o=Brookes' uid=jsmith

I'm really stumped on this one... can anyone help please?

Many thanks,
Steve :)