Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 04:57:57 -0300
From:      Onur Toker <onur@ccse.kfupm.edu.sa>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, onur@ccse.kfupm.edu.sa, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Harddisk > 2GB, what to do ?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Friday, 25 December 1998 at  2:01:43 -0300, Onur Toker wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >       I have a harddisk of size 4.3GB. Can you please tell me
> > step by step what should I do to use it with my FreeBSD box ?
>
> No.
>
> > I tried to use /stand/sysinstall but it gave error messages.
> > By the way, I am using 2.2.1.
>
> You haven't told us the error messages.  How can we guess what's gone
> wrong?  There's no problem installing on disks of this size, though
> you should consider installing a newer version of FreeBSD.

	First of all my system recognize 2 harddisks, wd0 and wd2 (No CDROM
attached, both harddisks are connected as master).

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC22000L>
wd0: 1907MB (3907008 sectors), 3876 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <WDC AC24300L>
wd2: 4112MB (8421840 sectors), 8912 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

Then I go to disk partition editor and generate 2 partitions of size
2000M.
They are wd2s1 and wd2s2.

Disk name:      wd2                                    FDISK Partition
Editor
DISK Geometry:  524 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 8418060 sectors

     Offset       Size        End     Name    PType     Desc  Subtype
Flags

           0         63         62        -        6   unused        0
          63    4080447    4080509    wd2s1        3  freebsd      165
     4080510    4080510    8161019    wd2s2        3  freebsd      165
     8161020     260820    8421839        -        6   unused
0

Then I write these changes and go to the disk label editor.

	I see two disks named wd2 with partition names wd2s1 and wd2s2. Then I
create to file systems

                         FreeBSD Disklabel Editor

Disk: wd2       Partition name: wd2s1   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
Disk: wd2       Partition name: wd2s2   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part    Mount            Size Newfs   Part    Mount            Size
Newfs
----    -----            ---- -----   ----    -----            ----
-----
wd2s1e  /usr/home      1992MB UFS Y
wd2s2e  /usr/WinHome   1992MB UFS Y

When I choose write these changes, I got error
messages.

 Message
       Error mounting /dev/wd2s2e on /usr/WinHome : Invalid argument

(100%)
                                [  OK  ]

       [ Press enter to continue
]

 Message
         Error mounting /dev/wd2s1e on /usr/home : Invalid argument

(100%)
                                 [  OK  ]

         [ Press enter to continue
]

So, what do you think ? In which step I am doing something wrong ?

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Onur