Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:55:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        terry@lambert.org
Subject:   vm/swap_pager.c swap_pager_swap_init()

It seems to me that the pages calculation in this function is
wrong:

	/*
	 * Initialize our zone.  Right now I'm just guessing on the number
	 * we need based on the number of pages in the system.  Each swblock
	 * can hold 16 pages, so this is probably overkill.
	 */

	n = cnt.v_page_count * 2;

In particular, for a 4G system, it seems that this should be more
bounded, e.g.:

	/*
	 * Provide backing store for only 2*physical memory limit.
	 * This approximately halves the amount of memory otherwise
	 * required in a 4G system, relative to the previous 'n'
	 * calculation.  It could probably be reduced by half again.
	 */
	n = cnt.v_page_count * 2;
	n = min(n, 128*1024);	/* (4G / PAGE_SIZE)  / 16 * 2 */

Irealize that this changes for the Alpha nad IA64, and should be
more general, but I haven't found the address space limitation
defined anywhere.

Comments?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org