Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 19:49:53 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /sys/boot, egcs vs. gcc, -Os

I get the feeling (not for the first time) that perhaps it is a
mistake to have the package database indexed by PKGNAME.  Or at
least, it seems that there isn't an easy way to get from what
I'll refer to as the ``port name'' from PKGNAME.  For example,
the port gtk12 was once gtk-1.2.0.  Now it is gtk-1.2.1.  I
think this contributes to the upgrade problem and tracking
dependencies with the information in /var/db/pkg.

I just reread that and seem to be having trouble making myself
clear right now.  If that didn't make perfect sense, I'll try
again tomorrow after some sleep. ;-)

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org