Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 19:33:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Stranger Bone <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   elimating the staircase problem on an HP DeskJet 400

Hi there,

So I hooked up my new HP DeskJet 400 according to the handbook, but it
has the staircase problem that the handbook describes, meaning that text

prints a line and then when it's time
				     for the next line it doesn't do a CR,
									  see?

The handbook describes how to fix this for certain higher-end HP
printers, but not for the kind I have.  I tried installing this as my if:

#!/bin/sh
#
# if-simple - Simple text input filter for lpd
# Installed in /usr/local/libexec/if-simple
#
# Simply copies stdin to stdout.  Ignores all filter arguments.

/usr/bin/tr "[\010]" "[\010\013]" && exit 0
exit 2

And several variations on it, but all I got was either nothing at all
(the printer would feed the paper through but not print anything) or it
would print a single line and no more.

I'm not entirely sure I've got the tr syntax right, either.  So if anyone
can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

 Ben

The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation
Board of Queensland, Australia.