Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 03:04:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        myorke@usa.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the difference

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> Mike Yorke wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have recently become a UN*X enthusiast and have been playing around
> > with Linux a bit.  While doing so I have discovered that Linux is not
> > the only Free PC compatible UNIX out there; i.e. FreeBSD.
> >
> > I've noticed that there are what appears to be different BSD
> > implementations out there that all use the BSD name; FreeBSD, NetBSD,
> > BSDI, etc.  What's the difference?  Is there a difference?  I get the
> > impression that they are all very similar with some exceptions.  Could
> > you shed any light on this subject?

A good site to look at is http://www.cons.org/cracauer/bsd.html.  It's a
subjective, incomplete rundown of the differences between NetBSD and
FreeBSD, and it's quite good (it doesn't claim to be objective or
complete).

Mr. Eiron's advice is also quite good.

> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Mike

 Ben

The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation
Board of Queensland, Australia.