Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:24:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        <tigger@ebom.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Restart network without reboot?

On 11 Apr 2001 tigger@ebom.org wrote:

> --sorry if the list gets this twice, had email problems too--
>
> I think this must be one of them super simple things that everyone
> must know but me :]
>
> I've done the following;
>
> added a line to /etc/rc.d

Hmm, I don't know proftpd, but why did you? The mv command below should
do ...

> mv /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd.sh.sample to  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd.=
sh

> chmod 555 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd.sh (which does not seem quite
> right to me)
>
> And now I want to restart the network without doing a shutdown -r now
>
> I'm guessing its something like killall -1 'insert unknown here'
>
> I've also been looking over lots of help and FAQ's online, nothing mentio=
ns how to do this (that I've seen).

> I thought the answer would have been on
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html but its not.
>
> Thanx for reading this major newbie question :]

My proposal is:

shutdown now=09=09=09# This command will kill all daemon
=09=09=09=09# processes and move you to single user
=09=09=09=09# mode. You will be asked to confirm
=09=09=09=09# your single user shell.

exit=09=09=09=09# Typing this in single user mode will
=09=09=09=09# brint the system back to multi user
=09=09=09=09# mode and start all daemons, e.g.

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg