Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:17:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        max lizano <ml099@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet fast Card

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, max lizano wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 01:00:40 +0000
> From: max lizano <ml099@hotmail.com>
> To: syborg@stny.rr.com
> Subject: Re: Ethernet fast Card
>
> Hi John,
> Thanks for answerme. Now I am refering to the ethernet card that appear in
> the hardware note  for 4.7 realse as follow:
>
> ADMtek Inc. AL981-based PCI Fast Ethernet NICs ( dc(4) driver)
> ADMtek Inc. AN985-based PCI Fast Ethernet NICs ( dc(4) driver)
>
> LinkSys EtherFast LNE100TX v4.0/4.1 (this is the model of my Nic card)
>
> Somebody at Forums told me that I have to buy a new Nic. My situation is
> this NIC card work perfectly with windows 2000 and Linux. If i buy a new
> one, I would like that this new card be compatible with the OS system
> mentioned it.Of course, is my desire to learn and use FreeBSD and that it
> become my main OS.
>
> If I understand you, I have to compile the kernel in order to have working
> this NIC card?
>
> Would you answer me
>
> Thanks
>
> Max

Yep, if you rebuild your kernel and include support for the dc driver, you
should be ok.Ny LNE100TX works fine - not spectacular, but fine.  See here
for how to build your own kernel:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Good luck! And *please* always cc: the freebsd-questions list.

JB